Fresh peas - 1 cup
Onion chopped - 1 no
Tomato chopped - 1 no
Ginger & Garlic paste - 2 tsp
Red chilli powder - 1 and 1/4 tsp
Coriander powder - 2 tsp
Fennel powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Grated fresh coconut - 1/4 cup
Cinnamon - 1" piece
Oil - 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Water - 1/4 cup
Curry leaves and coriander leaves - few
|Chettinad Peas Kurma|
1. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan, when hot add cinnamon stick and chopped onions, saute for few secs.
2. Add ginger & garlic paste to the pan, saute till raw smell leaves.
3. Next add chopped tomatoes, red chilli powder, coriander powder, fennel powder and turmeric powder, saute on low heat until tomatoes are cooked.
4. Remove pan from heat, allow onion & tomato mixture to cool and grind to fine paste along with grated coconut.
5. Wipe the same pan and return pan to heat, add 1 tbsp oil and fresh peas to the pan, saute peas for few mins.
6. Now add the ground gravy paste to the peas, add 1/4 cup water and required salt.
7. Stir well everything and bring gravy to boil, simmer gravy on low heat until slightly thickens.
8. Garnish with coriander, curry leaves.
Serve hot with
1. You can also use dried green peas instead of fresh peas. Soak dried peas overnight in water. Boil peas along with few pinch of cooking soda until tender. Drain peas from water and add to the recipe.
2. You can also use Coconut milk instead of fresh coconut.